Monday, November 07, 2005

Thanks Mr. Peel

This morning on my daily walk I listened to a wonderful compilation of John Peel radio sessions on the iPod. I found the compilation on the great Peel tribute site, The Perfumed Garden, located here.
For those who don't know, Peel hosted radio shows on the BBC's Radio 1 for 40 years, championing underground music for decades. It really is not overstatement to say modern rock music as we know it would simply not exist without his influence: Peel exposed bands that the public simply would not have heard anywhere else.
He died in October 2004. This weekend I downloaded the compilation I heard today. It consists of radio sessions bands recorded for Peel circa 1970 to 1987 and was given away by music paper NME in the late 1980s. The earliest song is one of my all-time favorites -- "Ride a White Swan" by T.Rex. Peel is known for his unwavering support of The Undertones and The Fall and both bands are also represented on the compilation ("Here Comes the Summer" by the Undertones and "Put Away" by The Fall).
There is even a reggae classic on here -- "Two Sevens Clash" by Culture.
Actually, this compilation is one of the best things on my iPod.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home