Sunday, October 30, 2005

Journalism: The Glamour Never Ends

You always hear people say: "I like my job because every day is different."
Well, I had to work today and the day was surely different.
I covered "Dog-o-ween," a costume contest for dogs. Rather than simply write about the cute winners of the contest -- something the newspaper has done for years -- I decided to try a different approach.
I have been reading George Gimarc's "Punk Diary" for weeks now, so I tried to think of the most PUNK ROCK way of covering a costume contest for dogs. Hmm... I know! I will dress as a cat!
I interviewed the owners of the winning, dressed-up dogs per usual, but from a certain feline perspective. I would ask how their dogs react to cats and I asked bemused event organizers what would ever happen if a cat entered the contest (the main organizer said he feared there would be fights!).
My story of the event won't win any awards, but at least I tried to breathe a little life into an event the newspaper has covered the same way for a decade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home