Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Music for the unwell

The worst thing about a sick day is that although you are not at work, you don't feel well enough to do anything worthwhile.
I couldn't even manage getting out of bed today, so I faced hours of staring off into space.
Thank goodness for the iPod. I at least had some good music to listen to as I stared off into space.
One of the bands I heard today was the legendary Talulah Gosh. Vocalist/guitarist Amelia Fletcher (born in 1966, like me!) formed this band with her drummer/brother Matthew in 1986, and for three years this Oxford quintet produced a whimsical, jangly type of indiepop that would eventually be called "twee."
Entire Web sites and generations of bands subsequently embraced the twee movement.
I listened to a pair of BBC radio sessions Talulah Gosh recorded -- one in 1986 for the Janice Long show and another in 1988 for John Peel. Both are wonderful, and helped pass the time as I stared up at the ceiling during my sick day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home