Saturday, October 22, 2005

More like "no need for music school"

I love irony and I found it driving to the public library just now.
I was listening to an iPod playlist of northern UK bands and Ed Banger and the Nosebleeds' 1977 classic "Ain't Bin to No Music School" blared out of the speakers.
I couldn't help but laugh as Ed Banger (Edmund Garrity) ranted in typical punk fashion about the band's pride in its lack of formal musical training.
In Vini Reilly, the band happened to possess one of the most brilliantly original and influential guitarists Britain has produced!
His shuddering chime sounded like nothing else in 1977, yet provided a template for post-punk guitar bands for the remainder of the decade and beyond.
Reilly's influenced gathered strength when he later fronted the Durutti Column and the guitarist who "ain't bin to no music school" effectively "taught" generations of musicians. Like I said, I love irony.
As a postscript, I read a great interview with Edmund Garrity the other day in which he laughed about the two "no-hopers" who eventually replaced him and Reilly in the Nosebleeds... a certain Morrissey and (future Cult star) Billy Duffy, respectively. More irony from a band seemingly steeped in the stuff!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home