Friday, October 14, 2005

Did you even hear a word that I just said?

Sorry to shake you from your reverie, but this week's FRIDAY QUESTION seeks a song that never fails to capture your entire attention. Hey! I said: Never fails to capture your entire attention. Weren't you listening?
Mike D. -- While rocking out to Guns 'n' Roses' "Paradise City" in July 1991, I ran a stop sign and T-boned a 91-year-old man and his wife in their Bonneville. OK, there the additional distractions of having my wife and two brothers in the car as we were searching for a particular storefront in an unfamiliar Wisconsin town with odd intersections. No one was injured, but those present never forget to remind me of the incident when we hear that song.
Tom J. -- Sting's remake of Hendrix's "Little Wing." The subtlety of the lyrics and quitar work are mesmerizing.
Kerstin H. -- "Don't Want to Miss a Thing" by Aerosmith.
Rick T. -- "Think I'll Just Sit Here and Drink" by Merle Haggard. Just about says it all!
Erik H. -- Present reality fades from view when I hear "Millimillenary" by the Cocteau Twins. Even now, this ethereal track from 1985's "The Pink Opaque" compilation reminds me of a summer spent bicycling near a lake. The light seemed filtered through a golden lens and I felt infused with love and the scenes and the scents mingled with Elizabeth Fraser's indecipherable lyrics and the warm glow of -- Whu? Huh? Did you say something? What did I miss?
See, I lose all touch with the here and now with
"Millimillenary."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home