Monday, October 03, 2005

Two posts in one day? I must be off work!

I am off work, actually.
I am also listening to "Castaways and Cutouts" (Kill Rock Stars, 2003) and compiling SEVEN REASONS WHY THE DECEMBERISTS ARE MY FAVORITE CURRENT AMERICAN BAND (until Scout reforms Firecracker in a blaze of alt.country glory).
1. Colin Meloy. He is America's current best lyricist, in my opinion.
2. The songs are melodic. Catchy, even. I love that.
3. The band's official biography begins with the line: "I'm a poor, drunken orphan with nowhere to go but the grave," wailed a waifish and non-plussed Mr. Chris Funk as he lay supine by the railroad tracks. This is exactly how I would open my band's official biography, if I had a band. Extra points for the use of the word, "supine."
4. The Decemberists are based in Portland, Ore., but leader Colin Meloy grew up in Montana. I lived for five-and-a-half years in Oregon (and all my dad's family were based there) and I lived in Montana when I was about 5 and 6 years old. Eerie.
5. The Decemberists based an entire EP, "The Tain" (Arcuarela Discos, 2004) on the 8th-century Celtic Ulster poem "Tain Bo Cuailinge."

6. Their Web site, located here, includes a featured called "Ask Crutchy McGee," an advice column that is absolutely hilarious.
7. I trust the band on the basis of three works. I don't have the 2005 album "Picaresque," but unless it is total crap, the Decemberists are the most original band currently based in the good old U.S. of A.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home