Saturday, October 01, 2005

There's always something left behind

I purchased my first full album from iTunes this past week. Usually I "cherry pick" selected songs from CDs, so if I was going to purchase an entire album, it had to be a classic through and through.
Well, this one fits that criteria!
The Wedding Present emerged from Leeds in the latter half of the 1980s. Impossibly fast guitars and the half-sung, Northern England-accented vocals of David Gedge characterized their sound.
After appearing on the legendary indie compilation C-86 (more on that gem later), The Wedding Present unveiled debut album "George Best" in October 1987.
It is absolutely f***ing brilliant. I had heard a handful of tunes by "the Weddoes" (their nickname) on American alternative radio over the years, notably later tracks such as "Brassneck" and "Kennedy." Nothing prepared me for the comprehensive high-quality of "George Best," though.
Gedge sings of heartbreak, but he sings from the point of view of the angry, not of the downtrodden. "Jealousy is an essential part of love," he sings on the classic track "My Favourite Dress." The song features the memorable chorus: "There's always something left behind/Never mind" and the song's narrative concludes with the stinging couplet: "To see it all in a drunken kiss/A stranger's hand on my favourite dress."
I listened to the album -- slightly reconfigured with two additional EPs as "George Best Plus" -- all day yesterday, as I drove to various assignments for work. Our family is going to help my father-in-law with some autumnal cleaning today. As I scrub floors (or whatever), be assured the iPod will be positively ringing with the Weddoes' bracing indie fare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home