Thursday, September 22, 2005

Seeking some comfort through music

The wake services for my college roommate, Pat Hannan (pictured) will be held tonight.
I still can't believe he has gone. When I was younger, death only seemed to come to older people or people I don't know. Now I have lost a father, a mother-in-law, several grandparents and now two college friends, all since I graduated.
During the past couple of days, I have tried to avoid listening to music that would amplify my sadness. No "Faith"-era Cure, no Joy Division, etc. I don't want to drive around listening to the news (as yet another hurricane threatens untold death and destruction on yet another part of the country), so I decided to listen to music that has comforted me since high school. I have been listening to the sunsplashed reggae of the early 1970s and such classic albums as "Rubber Soul" by the Beatles. It was surely difficult listening to "In My Life."
I am not sure what I will listen to as we drive to the funeral home this evening. I won't turn the music off, though. I don't think I could bear the sound of complete silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home