Monday, September 12, 2005

Just a Closer Walk With Thee

I'm uploading Mahalia Jackson (pictured) and some other Golden Age gospel singers on the iPod.
So...
Now my iPod contains both Iron Maiden and Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Stranger things have happened... I think...
I don't care. The songs I heard today -- on a CD titled "The Great Gospel Women" that I checked out from the library -- match anything by Ella Fitzgerald or Aretha Franklin. Those two artists can be found on my iPod, so why shouldn't I include Dorothy Love Coates or Clara Ward?
I have been immersing myself in soul music, and decided to investigate some gospel music from 1945-1975 so I could hear the roots of my latest musical obsession.
As I drove around listening to these songs today, one memorable track seemed to strike me like... well, like a thunderbolt from above. Goldia Haynes' "This Old World," recorded in 1950, poured out of the car speakers and I was hooked. Her voice fused with those inspirational words convinced me I had to keep this song and similar tunes handy, so I can hear them more often.
Now, if I grow tired of "Anarchy in the U.K.," I can revel in "The Last Mile of the Way."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home