Thursday, September 01, 2005

Amadeus rockin'

Last night I watched "Amadeus" on DVD. The script, acting and music combine to make this 1984 release a great film (it won a slew of Oscars).
I already knew the story, so last night I concentrated on the aura surrounding Mozart, as portrayed by Tom Hulce.
As I watched the interaction of the characters, it became clear to me: Mozart was a "rock star" for his age.
Charismatic... Talented... Egotistical... Spoiled...
Mozart shared the attributes of a David Bowie or a Marc Bolan. He seemed very "glam" to me. He chose the most outlandish wigs, he partied and manically composed in equal measure. Heck, he even died the young "rock star" death!
F. Murray Abraham's Antonio Salieri, when compared to Mozart, comes across as a staid practitioner of some dying art. Mozart really seems like a rockin' revolutionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home