Saturday, August 27, 2005

Just me and my satin jacket

I don't really have a satin jacket.
I do, however, have the sonic equivalent.
Several years ago a Scottish music fan and I traded some CD mixes we had crafted.
Two of the discs I received were 30-track doo wop compilations. They are absolutely wonderful!
I am alone at home tonight, as my wife and girls are visiting my father-in-law, and these wonderful doo wop tunes of the early 1950s are pouring out of the stereo speakers. Some of the stuff -- such as "White Cliffs of Dover" by the Blue Jays -- is true doo wop. Some of the other selections -- such as The Dukays' classic "The Girl's a Devil" -- seem more like early R & B. I'm not complaining, though. All these songs are great.
Take "Three Little Words" by The Spaniels (pictured), for example. Lead singer Pookie Hudson sounds like he is singing from some better, more sublime world, where everybody is in love and the stars are always twinkling above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home