Friday, August 19, 2005

Schoolyard serenade

Thought I would forget about the FRIDAY QUESTION because I was on vacation?!
Wrong! Well, almost... Good thing soon-to-be-fourth-grade student Kerstin reminded me.
Speaking of school, here is the question: What is a song you associate with your elementary school days and why?
Kerstin H. -- "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams. That's the greatest song I've ever heard.
Dave B. -- "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?" Any Schoolhouse Rock song. When being in elementary school meant that you lived for Saturday Morning cartoons and Schoolhouse Rock.
Rick T. -- "Bury Me Beneath the Willow," the first song I ever learned in grade school.
Jill H. -- Def Leppard's first tape. My brother blasted it in the kitchen while we did dishes together.
Scout S. -- "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Gos was the first 45 I ever bought with my own money. I went down to Tried and True Records and bought it for 3.49 and played the crap out of it during the summer of 1981. And it's been downhill ever since.
Ellen B. -- "The Rose." My sister loved that song and played it over and over.
Brian C. -- I was midway through elementary school when the British Invasion began. Whenever I hear The Beatles' cover of the Chuck Berry hit, "Roll Over Beethoven," an association with grade school occurs. The song was the first cut on the first Beatles album I ever owned, "The Beatles' Second Album." That was 1964. I still own it.
Jim S. -- "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In" by the 5th Dimension. I was in about sixth grade and this song seemed to signify a new, futuristic and exciting era when everyone would get along. "The age of Aquarius..."
Mike D. -- Our grade-school music teacher, a Franciscan sister, used to put lyrics to pop songs on the overhead for us to sing along with. One that I recall is "Daniel" by Elton John, because a friend and I used to sing our own lyrics to that one.
Madelin F. -- "Pilot of the Airways" by Air Supply or "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd, because every kid in my class knew these songs and if we were on a school bus going on a field trip, inevitably, a group of girls would break out the lyrics and we'd all join in. Man, we were too young (fifth and sixth grade) to be singing Floyd songs. But "Hey, teacher! Leave them kids alone!" was too irresistible.
Diane H. -- "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. The summer that was popular (1985?), my Little League softball team would sing it on the bus rides to games.
Clint A. -- "Jump" by Van Halen sticks in my mind because I asked for the album for Christmas, and my dad was angry because there was a baby smoking a pack of cigarettes on the cover of 1984.
Inger H. -- When I was little, my bedroom was in a converted closet. That put me right next to the living room, just the other side of the wall from the big console hi-fi. I fell asleep many nights to the soothing sounds of Roberta Flack crooning "Killing Me Softly."
Erik H. -- The late, great Top-40 station KFRC blanketed my youth with songs that have become irrevocably tied to memories of sun-filled days in the suburbs of San Francisco. During elementary school, KFRC always seemed to be playing Elton John. I remember hearing "Philadelphia Freedom" and wondering why a British singer-songwriter would be singing about American Independence. Perhaps I did not understand the lyrical context. Perhaps it didn't matter, because that song sounded so cool to a grade-school music geek. Yeah, that's it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home