Saturday, August 06, 2005

Utterly fantastic!

This week I stumbled (not literally!... oh, OK, I admit I fell) upon the recently released T.Rex DVD "Born to Boogie."
It is simply amazing. At the height of his Beatlemania-like fame in 1972, Marc Bolan was recorded for posterity in a film by a Beatle -- Ringo Starr!
Based on a legendary concert at London's Wembley Pool, "Born to Boogie" also includes Fellini-esque segments -- some featuring Elton John -- that prefigured the rise of music videos.
The real triumph of the film, however, was the capture of T.Rex in concert.
Bolan struts across the stage like an iconic rock star, which is exactly what he was in Britain circa 1970-72.
I cringe when I hear Power Station's flimsy remake of "Get it On (Bang a Gong)." On "Born to Boogie," Bolan invigorates his already stomping original of this classic song with palpable energy. He even plays a guitar solo with a tambourine, showering the crowd with a fountain of feedback.
Simply marvelous. I am so grateful I found this DVD.
* * *
Not so marvelous... Sheffield Wednesday opened the English football season today by drawing, 0-0, at Stoke. Stoke missed a penalty, so the Owls were oh-so-close to defeat. Eeek!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home