Sunday, July 31, 2005

How to spend a perfect Sunday

Yesterday, a bunch of us drove to Milwaukee to see the Brewers host my beloved Giants. As I sat watching San Francisco take batting practice, I thought about how the team has been a primary thread running through my life, from my Bay Area origins to my current situation in the Upper Midwest. So many things have changed for me, except for my connection with the Giants.
Apart from a love of music and soccer, the Giants have been the one constant in my life. Of course, the Giants lost yesterday. Milwaukee beat San Francisco, 7-1. I think the Giants have lost 94 percent of the games that I have watched them play in person.
So... What to do on the day after a lengthy trip across Wisconsin and back...
1. DRINK CIDER. Cider might be the world's greatest alcoholic drink. Fermented apple juice, basically. More dry than sweet and eminently chuggable. Is "chuggable" a real word? It is now!
2. LISTEN TO THE TECHNIQUES. The most legendary vocal group from Jamaica (they truly put the Wailers to utter shame) are so unknown in the general population it makes me feel like a dumbstrucktogenerian. Is "dumbstrucktogenerian" a real word? It is now!
3. READ ABOUT THE 50 GREATEST FA CUP UPSETS IN HISTORY. The English soccer season is so close I can taste it (or, is that the Cheez-Its I have been inhaling?). I just rummaged through the basement, where one of the many boxes contained FOUR FOUR TWO Magazine's 1998 issue on the greatest FA Cup Upsets of all time. It is absolutely brilliant. You get to read about the high-and-mighty of the footballing world struck down by the smallest, least-likely-to-succeed clubs. Brilliant. We are approaching the 30th anniversary of one of the greatest FA Cup upsets of all... the 1976 Final in which Southampton flummoxigated stupid Manchester United, 1-0 (pictured above). Is "flummoxigated" a real word? It is now!
4. MAKE UP FANTASITIGORICAL WORDS BASED ON A DELIGHTFUL CIDER BUZZ. Is "Fantastigorical" a real word? On this perfect Sunday, it most certainly is now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Everyday Matheson said...

Chuggable is totally a word.

word.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home