Saturday, July 23, 2005

This explains a lot

Last week I was delighted to find a Pete Frame Rock Family Tree book at Borders. I have been immersed in it since I purchased the book.
Frame is a British rock journalist with an eye for visual design. During the 1970s, he perfected a method of outlining rock history by representing rock band changes in the style of a family tree. Along with the family trees, Frame filled his pages with arcane facts about the bands. His work became staples of such publications as the NME, Mojo, The Times and Zigzag (where his rock genealogies first appeared).
Frame's work influenced me immensely as a kid. I had a volume of Frame's trees, featuring bands from both sides of the Atlantic from the 1950s through to the late 1970s. I probably learned more rock history from those family trees than any other method. I also tried to emulate his carefully rendered style (with oh-so-small lettering). From about the age of 11 or 12, I spent hours developing hundreds of my own rock family trees, for bands real and imagined. So, as you can see, I was a music geek way back in the day!
Sadly, I read my childhood volume of Frame's work so often the pages literally crumbled. That childhood volume is no more, but my love of Frame's work has endured.
At Borders, I found "The Beatles and Some Other Guys," Frame's rock family trees of the Liverpool scene of the early 1960s. I have been reading about The Merseybeats, the Swinging Blue Jeans and other bands of the era, while happily recalling how the Rock Family trees left such an imprint on me.