Wednesday, July 13, 2005

What is this man doing on my iPod?


I was walking last night after work, scrolling through the "ARTISTS" list on my iPod when I came upon a name that stopped me in my tracks.
"Fess Parker."
Fess Parker? Wasn't he an old actor? What song do I have by him?
"The Ballad of Davey Crockett?"
-- CLICK! --
"Born on a mountain top in Tennessee..."
Why did I put THIS on here?
"Greenest state in the land of the free..."
Was I feeling ironic the day I loaded this one?
"Raised in the woods so he knew every tree..."
I'm starting to feel a little woozy because of this song.
"Killed him a 'bar' when he was only three..."
Did he just sing what I thought he sang? "Bar" instead of "bear?" Uhhh...
"Davey, Davey Crockett, king of the wild frontier!"
I returned home from my walk and plugged the iPod into the computer, searching for a reason why a 1955 TV theme song would inhabit my otherwise ultrahip digital music player.
Turns out, "The Ballad of Davey Crockett sits toward the end of a "honky tonkin" playlist I created. The playlist is designed to replicate the musical choices on a mythical honky tonk jukebox, and I must have reasoned that after a night of hardcore drinking, the crowd would naturally plug a coin in the jukebox and dial up Davey Crockett. Perhaps by mistake. I am going to leave the song on the iPod for now. You never know when you might want to hear this:
"He went off to Congress and served a spell, Fixin' up the government and laws as well, He took over Washington so I hear tell And patched up the crack in the Liberty bell."

Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

Blogger inger said...

"The playlist is designed to replicate the musical choices on a mythical honky tonk jukebox" -- y'know, every time I get to thining that I'm the geek of the family, I'm going to reflect on that statement.

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home