Sunday, July 10, 2005

Soon, the whole world will know my name


That weird bloke with the iPod, smiling oddly to himself as he walked down Rhomberg Avenue at 1 p.m. on Sunday?
Yeah, that was me.
I couldn't help smiling. I had just created an 80s playlist for the iPod and I was "test driving" it while on my daily walk.
As I hit Rhomberg Avenue, Sigue Sigue Sputnik's brilliant "Love Missile F1-11" came on the iPod. Cue: Smiling.
Led by former Generation X founder Tony James, Sigue Sigue Sputnik were never built to last. In fact, old punk James probably meant for the band's very existence to serve as an "up yours," two-fingered gesture to the increasingly stagnating music business of the mid-80s.
James plied "Love Missile" with wildly inventive samples (one of the first real instances of this approach to music making) and it roared to No. 3 on the UK charts in 1986.
You might remember "Love Missile" from the "Ferris Bueller" soundtrack. I remember it as a cherished memento of the punk-informed spirit that all of the dross of the 80s couldn't quite extinguish.
So, that's why I was smiling.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home