Monday, July 04, 2005

Is this a sign of a sick mind?


Probably. This photo is probably the sign of a very sick mind, but I don't care.
I needed to edit my iPod soul music playlist this morning. What is wrong with that?
A playlist -- like any mix of songs -- simply has to flow correctly. For example, you can't have a slow, mournful song immediately after a horn-laden fast song -- the effect would jar a listener, perhaps irreparably.
No, a playlist is not a thing to take lightly.
That's why I drank half a pot of coffee (OK... three-fourths of a pot... sorry), printed a tracklisting and began reorganizing tunes with a bright pink pen. I had to get this mix just right.
I think all that hard work has paid off, too, in the form of a classic mix of REAL SOUL GEMS.
Trust me... Check out the first 11 tracks:
1. Sam & Dave - "I Thank You," 2. Rufus Thomas - "Walking the Dog," 3. Wilson Pickett - "In the Midnight Hour," 4. The Contours - "Just a Little Misunderstanding," 5. The Phil Upchurch Combo - "You Can't Sit Down," 6. Rodger Collins - "Foxy Girls in Oakland," 7. Sam Cooke - "Shake," 8. Otis Redding - "Respect," 9. Aretha Franklin - "Respect," 10. Ike & Tina Turner - "I Can't Believe What You Say," 11. Eddie Floyd - "Knock on Wood."
See?
This thing SMOKES! It COOKS!
It does all these other clichéd, soul-type things.
All because of early-morning editing.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home