Thursday, June 30, 2005

Who needs the real Earth? I have Google Earth


I have heard from many of you about your grave concerns that my iPod will suddenly make me "cool."
This Route1 entry should lay those fears to rest... permanently.
I hereby reestablish my
GEEK credentials with the following admission: I routinely read blogs devoted to maps.
Yes. Maps.
Those picture things with lines for roads and blue spaces for water. Those things that are impossible to fold the same way twice.
Maps.
There are entire blogs singularly (anal retentively?) devoted to maps. Such as the wonderful Map Room.
Those of us entirely uncool people who frequent map blogs have been all a-titter recently. Here's why: Google has unveiled Google Earth.
In case you haven't heard, Google Earth is the greatest mapping invention in decades. Probably since the invention of those globes with bumpy bits to show where the mountains are located. Yes, it is really that great.
Google Earth is a three-dimensional mapping service that uses satellite imagery and a variety of overlays to give the impression that you can FLY from one place to another!
Oh yeah... Planes let you do that.
Well, you can FLY without getting up from your computer! How's that?!
I have been toying with Google Earth as soon as I got home from work. I found an aerial view of the condo we lived in when I was in elementary school in Concord, Calif. I found the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. I found the Sydney Opera House. I found Bloemfontein, South Africa. I found a bunch of places I have never even heard of before.
And that's a tough thing to do: I visit map blogs!
Now, if you will excuse me, I have to play with Google Earth some more.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home