Friday, June 24, 2005

What are you listening to right... NOW?!?!


Dutiful Route1 assistant Annika H. (pictured above during a routine research mission) provided this week's FRIDAY QUESTION: What was the last song you heard and what did you think of it?
Jill H. -- "1985" by Bowling for Soup. I remember it because Annika was singing along: "Stacy, Madonna, way before Vadonna."
Rick T. -- "Look at Us" by Vince Gill. Says it all! The steel guitar player is Conway Twitty's steel player. Makes the song extra special.
Scout S. -- "Life is Killing My Rock n Roll" by Singapore Sling. Could be the theme song to the movie of my life; about wanting to live the classic sex, drugs & rock and roll lifestyle, only to have decorum rear its ugly head. The refrain: "I wanted to die before I got old, but my life is killing my rock and roll."
Mary N.-P. -- "Reggae Got Soul" by the Maytals. It is on a compilation CD, "Mary, Meet the Maytals" of which I own the only copy. It is one of my all-time favorite songs now and I play it (and the entire CD) often at night in the newsroom while I'm working and trying to drown out distractions.
Dave B. -- "How Far is Heaven" by Los Lonely Boys. My thoughts about this particular song? It could be the second-worst song ever written, right behind "MacArthur Park" (I am still looking for that bastard that left the cake out in the rain).
Inger H. -- "Portions for Foxes" by Rilo Kiley. I heard it last not because I listened to it last, but because it's been playing in my head for the past few days. See? Just thinking about it started it up again... "We'll all be... portions for foxes..."
Jim S. -- "Whip It" by Devo, from the "Like, Omigod the 80s: Pop Culture Box" set of seven CDs. It is playing in the TH features department and Gary is rocking out. I like it... like it good.
Mike D. -- I heard the theme song from "The Wiggles" TV show before I left for work this morning: "We know a world, a magic world, come with us and see. Anything can happen in a special world, it can happen to you or me." Have there ever been written more inspirational lyrics? Overall, it's a pretty good tune, though not as infectious as one of the Aussies' other hits, "Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack (Cock-a-Doodle-Doo)."
Diane H. -- I think it's unfair that I have to answer this question right now. I'm embarrassed to admit that the last song I heard was "Beautiful Soul" by that cheesy 15-year-old boy (Jesse McCartney). It was on the radio when I was pulling into the parking ramp at work and I was too lazy to change the station.
Steve M. -- "Ruby, My Dear" by a soloing Thelonious Monk. Love it. The solo is just what I need to wind down from a hectic week.
Matt. K. -- The last song I heard is the one in my head. The one that I played on my guitar yesterday, I think, at home. I'm pretty sure it was Los Lobos' "When the Circus Comes" from "Kiko" -- an album that can't command enough superlatives. I've strummed that song at least 25 times now (having recently picked it out) and it still resonates in that place in my soul that speaks a truer language than I'm capable.
Erik H. (me) -- "Trigger Cut/Wounded-Kite at :17" by Pavement. I just loaded some Pavement on the iPod. There are so many reasons to love this song: Pavement were from Stockton, Calif., where my step-father is from... Pavement were unabashed fans of my favorite band, The Fall... Oh yeah... and the song itself is infectious against the odds. Pavement often punctuated their sheets of sound with shards of jagged noise. On "Trigger Cut," the catchy "la-la-la-la-la-la ooh-oooh" element of their work wins out. Brilliant.

Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home