Tuesday, June 14, 2005

I'm telling you now and I'm telling you this


"I'm not saying they're really thick, but all the groups who've hit it big/Make the Kane Gang look like an Einstein chip." -- The Fall, "Gut of the Quantifier."
I am listening to "This Nation's Saving Grace," the 1985 classic from The Fall and I am trying to remember the first Fall song I ever heard.
It's difficult for me to remember, because I HATED The Fall. They sounded dead weird. Mark E. Smith can't sing. He barks or he chants and his thick northern accent places an "-uh" at the end of most words. "Couldn't get ahead-uh. Just couldn't get ahead-uh," is what he sounds like singing.
I am sure I first heard The Fall on The Quake, San Francisco's first (and greatest) and now defunct alternative music station. The radio disc jockeys were unabashed anglophiles -- like me -- so listeners would be more likely to hear the latest from Manchester, England than you were to hear anything from Los Angeles or New York. I am sure I heard The Fall on The Quake. Was it "Totally Wired?" "New Face in Hell?" or something from "This Nation's Saving Grace?" Something in the very back of my mind tells me it was "How I Wrote 'Elastic Man.'"
However, it is all a blur.
There are so many things in life we once liked but now ignore. How rare are those things we once ignored but now adore? The Fall are one of those things to me.
Posted by Hello

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home