Friday, July 01, 2005

Fri - OOHMPH - Day Quest - HUMPHH - tion


Nothing gets you up and moving quite like a good song.
Today, Route1 readers answer this important fitness FRIDAY QUESTION: What would be the first song you would put on a "workout" tape and why?
Jim S. -- "Physical" by Olivia Newton-John. It's an upbeat, workout classic. Got the 80s off and kicking. And yes, I used to think she was hot.
Jill H. -- "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves. That song is catchy and when you are working out it is good to pretend you are walking on sunshine. It makes the workout go faster!
Scout S. -- "Maniac" by Michael Sembello. Because my workout consists of running as fast as I can in one place while sensually rubbing my thighs, each throbbing beat of the music bringing me closer to my dream of being a professional dancer. Also, the music makes me feel sexy, even though I usually work out while wearing a ratty old grey sweatshirt, hanging insouciantly off one shoulder. I mean, when I'm not at my day job being a spot welder, I want to feel comfortable, you know?
Emily S. -- "Jesus Walks" by Kanye West. Actually, I am listening to his whole CD when I run daily. It's awesome.
Laura C. -- "Back in Black" by AC/DC. It's the best song to lift weights to, hands down.
Dave B. -- "Lose Yourself" by Eminem, off of the 8 Mile soundtrack. The song has a good tempo, not too fast, not too slow. A good five minutes-to-get-the-blood-flowing song and then I move right into "Betty" by Helmet.
Diane H. -- "TNT" by AC/DC. It makes me want to run faster on the treadmill.
Mike D. -- "Kick Start My Heart" by Motley Crue. The title seems appropriate and the fast-paced tempo will get your adrenaline pumping. However, pop music fans better do some stretching first, or this could put you into cardiac arrest.
Rick T. -- "YMCA" by the Village People. When you hear "YMCA," you just gotta groove!
Ann M. -- I would put Will Smith's new song first because it makes me want to get up and move.
Erik H. -- "Paid in Full (Coldcut remix)" by Eric B. & Rakim. The song that kicks off my ridiculously long "9_hour_mega_mix" has the right length (a little more than seven minutes), the right tempo (medium, which allows for a suitable warm-up period) and the right amount of inventive samples ("By George, even London grooves!") to engage your mind while you begin to put your body through its paces.

Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home