Friday, July 15, 2005

How to defuse an anger bomb


They say music soothes the savage beast.
Perhaps.
Route1 readers tackle music's ability to alleviate anger by answering this week's FRIDAY QUESTION: What song would you want to hear to help cool your hot temper?
Bob H. -- Barbra Streisand's "Don't Rain on My Parade." No explanation needed. The lyrics say it all.
Rick T. -- Hank Jr.'s song "If You Don't Like Hank Williams You Can Kiss Our A--!" It helps me let people know: If you don't like me... well, you get the idea!
Roseanne H. -- Soft jazz does it for me. I've had to listen to it a lot lately!
Jim S. -- "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" by the Eagles. Even when I'm not ticked off, it soothes me.
Inger H. -- Pretty much anything by Sleater-Kinney. After a few minutes listening to them, I realize that I'm not nearly as angry as they are.
Clint A. -- "Wish" by Nine Inch Nails. Good, fast, industrial song filled with rage, kind of like an emotional purge of sorts, I guess.
Mike D. -- "The Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats, because it is such a stupid song. Thinking of the goofball video would certainly put a grin back on my face.
Erik H. -- A famous story from the annals of punk rock tell of Johnny Rotten soothing himself with Dr. Alimantado's roots reggae classic "Born for a Purpose/Reason for Living" after being beaten for looking "too weird."
This week, after my temper boiled over, I tried the same tactic. The song really works at curbing anger!
'Tado, born James Winston Thompson, penned the stridently defiant (yet surprisingly bouncy and catchy) song after a 1976 incident in which a bus driver struck him on Kingston's Orange Street. The bus driver apparently took offence at 'Tado's insistence on wearing his hair in the dreadlocked style of the Rastafarians (who remain very much a minority in Jamaica, despite public perceptions.)
'Tado boldly stands up against his bus-driving attacker throughout the song:
"If you feel that you have no reason for living, don't determine my life!"
It should come as no surprise that Britain's punks claimed the song as one of their personal anthems. It is as defiantly positive as anything they produced.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home