Friday, August 05, 2005

and ACTION! "La-la-la-la" CUT!

Sometimes, the music makes the film. This week, Route 1's FRIDAY QUESTION seeks readers' most memorable song from a film.
Survey said...
Dave B. -- "I'll Stop the World and Melt With You" by Modern English. From "Valley Girl."
Roseanne H. -- "Moon River" comes to my mind. From "Breakfast at Tiffanys."
Mike D. -- When the thieves in "Die Hard" finally crack the vault they've been trying to open during the course of the movie, they are greeted with a chorus of "Ode to Joy," a.k.a. Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. It seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek, yet appropriate to that moment in the film.
Steve M. -- "O Lucky Man!" in the movie of the same name. By former Animal Alan Price. Great lyrics.
Ellen B. -- The theme to "Footloose!" Cause you gotta cut loose, footloose!
Rick T. -- "Unchained Melody" from the movie "Ghost."
Diane H. -- I'm going to say the "Indiana Jones" theme. It fits the films so well and I find myself humming it whenever I hear it. Admit it, it's going through your head right now, right?
Jim S. -- This is such a tough one, because there are so many. Just a few memorable ones for me: "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Bros. in the movie "Ghost." "Mrs. Robinson" by Simon & Garfunkel in "The Graduate." And, of course, "I Got You Babe" by Sonny & Cher in "Groundhog Day."
Bob H. -- "Moonglow" and the theme from "Picnic" danced by William Holden and Kim Novak. The sexiest and most memorable scene in all filmdom. The 1955 "Picnic" is a must for fans of romance.
Erik H. -- I have a pair of memorable film songs, from two distinct periods in my life -- impressionable youth and (a little) wiser adulthood.
The first song, "Don't You (Forget About Me)," opened "The Breakfast Club." It just sounded great -- a big booming sound and the song that finally broke my then-favorite band, Simple Minds, big in America.
The second song, "To Be Young (Is to Be Sad, Is to Be High)," opened "Old School" and came as a big, wonderful surprise. I approached "Old School" prepared to laugh my head off. I did that, but only after applauding the filmmakers for including Ryan Adams' opener from "Heartbreaker" as their theme. "To Be Young" is a swaggering country rock tune that probably sounds best if belted out slightly drunk. Hmm... so, perhaps its inclusion on "Old School" should not have been such a surprise.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Late Inning entry: Cat Stevens' "Trouble" was perfect to accompany Harold's grief-stricken drive along the California Coast near the end of Harold and Maude.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home