Friday, August 12, 2005

I'll be right out... as soon as this song is done!


It never fails. You are almost home after a long drive when THAT song comes on the radio or stereo. You know, THAT song you love so much you must hear in its entirety. So you wait and listen, either driving around the block or sitting in the driveway. We call THAT song a "driveway song."
This week's FRIDAY QUESTION asks readers to identify their own driveway songs...
Mary N.P. -- "Ode to Billie Joe" by Bobbie Gentry. Always loved it (came out in my high school graduation year) and I don't hear it often. But I wonder to this day what got thrown off that Tallahachee Bridge.
Rick T. -- I can't shut the car off yet... If a George Jones song is playing!
Dave B. -- I can't shut the car off yet because Ron Santo is becoming unglued about how bad the Cubs suck. I love it!
Mike D. -- "Call Me the Breeze" by Lynyrd Skynyrd is a fun and jumpy song that keeps me in the driveway (or parking stall at work), but I have also gotten plenty of guitar solos out of my steering wheel while jamming The Eagles' "Hotel California." You can't beat the wailing, harmonized guitars that carry you to the song's end.
Steve M. -- It's gotta be "Burnin' for You" by Blue Oyster Cult.
Angie A. -- "In the End" by Linkin Park, "Chariot" by Gavin DeGraw, "Yeah" by Usher, "Fighter" by Christina Aguilera, "Vogue" by Madonna and every song by *NSYNC and The Backstreet Boys.

Jill H. -- Kerstin and I always wait in the car to hear "Live Like You Were Dying" (by Tim McGraw) because we love singing it together.
Erik H. -- I have many driveway songs. The single pictured above, however, might be the one that never fails to keep me in the car. "Up the Junction" by Squeeze is one of the great narrative songs of British pop. It's lyrics sound like a novel, dispensing with the usual verse and chorus combination to tell the tale of a young family destroyed by alcohol and emotional inertia. I always stop to listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home