Saturday, August 13, 2005

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me

I woke up at 6:30 a.m. to watch Everton host Manchester United live on television in the opening match of the new Premiership campaign. Stupid mistakes by the hosts gave Manchester United a 2-0 win.
I honored United during my subsequent walk by listening to Manchester legends The Fall on the iPod.
Now, I am watching Middlesbrough vs. Liverpool. The music I listen to en route to a family reunion this afternoon will depend upon the outcome.
Therein lies the problem.
If Liverpool win, I will probably listen to the Beatles. That's an easy choice.
What happens if Middlesbrough win?
Musical acts from the Teesside region of Britain are a bit thin on the ground, as they would say.
Paul Rogers of Free ("All Right Now") is from Middlesbrough, but I don't have any Free on the iPod. David Coverdale of Deep Purple and Whitesnake is also from Teesside, but I don't have any music of his, either.
Jannick Gers, guitarist of Iron Maiden, is from Hartlepool. Hartlepool have their own football club, however, so I won't listen to Maiden if 'Boro beat Liverpool.
That really only leaves me one choice: Wendy Smith, co-vocalist on Prefab Sprout's "King of Rock and Roll" is from Teesside.
So, if Middlesbrough happen to win:
"Hot Dog, Jumping Frog, Albuquerque!"
If the match finishes as a draw, I'll probably just listen to news on the radio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home