Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Music for sun-filled days

I feel slightly ashamed to be enjoying fine weather while the television continues to show rescue and recovery efforts in the storm-ravaged southeast.
Today it was simply brilliant here in Dubuque, with blue skies and warm sun and very little humidity. Doing the dishes this morning, then driving to work, I celebrated our idyllic weather with Jamaican party music.
I reveled in boastful DJs toasting over timeless rocksteady rhythms. Lizzy's "Love is a Treasure" followed by Cat Campbell's hilarious "Hammering Version" followed by Dennis Alcapone's "My Voice is Insured for Half a Million Dollars."
It was music made for celebration, and I enjoyed it, but in the back of my mind I felt uncomfortable by the contradictory images we have seen the past couple days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home