Sunday, August 28, 2005

I only have eyes for a cow wearing a blue floral-print dress

Life's a funny thing.
I know you don't need to read a music blog to learn that bit of wisdom, but here is a good example of life as a funny thing.
I had to work today, covering a best-dressed farm animal event at a local county fair ("that's why you got into journalism, right?" asked my newspaper's library manager as I headed out the newsroom door.
Well, no, actually. But that's another story. Today's story concerns the fact that I continue to listen to a pair of doo wop CDs a Scottish friend of mine sent me a couple years ago. During the 30-mile drive to the county fair, the classic sounds of the Orioles, the Monotones and other nearly forgotten R & B bands were blasting out of my car-stereo speakers.
By the time I got to the fair, the Flamingoes' absolutely brilliant version of "I Only Have Eyes For You" is completely stuck in my head. "Are there stars out tonight?" You know how the song goes, it's a classic.
So, this unforgettable song of blind love is replaying itself continually in my head as a succession of cows wearing dresses, rabbits dressed as high-school cheerleaders and sheep hobbling on boots parades past me.
I only have eyes for you? Cow wearing a toga?
See, life is a funny thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home