Tuesday, September 13, 2005

That's the beauty of music

I watched "The Shawshank Redemption" on DVD last night. It is amazing to me that a truly classic film could have been made as recently as 1994. Usually, when I think of a "classic" film I think of something in the pre-1979 era. But "Shawshank" is truly amazing.
As a music fanatic (in case you haven't guessed), I was particularly struck by the scene when Andy (Tim Robbins) emerges from a period of solitary confinement and the other prisoners wonder how he managed to hold up so well.
"I had Mr. Mozart to keep me company," he tells them. When they wonder how he heard Mozart "in the hole," Andy points to his head.
"It was in here," he says. Then he points to his heart. "And in here."
"That's the beauty of music," he tells them. "They can't get that from you. Haven't you ever felt that way about music? You need it so we don't forget... that there are places in the world that aren't made out of stone, that there's something inside that they can't get to, that they can't touch. It's yours."
Oh yeah... I love that part of the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home