Saturday, September 24, 2005

Swantastic!

I always try to tune in to the Australian Football League Grand Final.
Sometimes I have had to follow the Australian equivalent to the Super Bowl online. Once, just before moving to Iowa, I sat in an otherwise empty house in Oregon and listened to the match on a crackly shortwave radio.
Last night, I stayed up and watched the Grand Final live on digital cable, thanks to Fox Soccer Channel.
I am so glad I did.
After a week of grief -- my college roommate passed away this week age 37 -- I was in need of a great sports fix to take my mind off my sadness.
This match worked wonders.
The Sydney Swans defeated the West Coast Eagles, 8.10 (58) to 7.12 (54), to claim their first Premiership title for 72 years. The Swans played in South Melbourne back in 1933 (the franchise moved to Sydney in 1982) and this dramatic Grand Final victory ended the longest title drought in the sport's history.
The Swans led by 20 points at halftime but the Eagles clawed their way to within a goal (which is worth six points) of victory. Somehow, the Swans managed to hold on in what was very easily the greatest AFL match I have ever seen.
The victory was particularly sweet for Tadhg Kennelly (pictured). I stayed up until 3 a.m. to watch the medal and trophy presentations. Kennelly danced a jig, as he became the first Irishman to win an Australian football Grand Final.
You beaut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home