Sunday, October 09, 2005

You're so bloody thin you don't even begin

I couldn't get to sleep last night.
Wire's "Pink Flag" kept me awake until 1 a.m.
I hadn't heard the British post-punk pioneers' 1977 classic for so long. I had forgotten how arresting they made those short songs!
The longest song clocks in at 3:58. The shortest at a mere :28. Most of the songs are completed within a minute-and-a-half, yet they all pack a punch.
"What is this feeling called love? What is this crazy scene I can't work out anyhow?"
That line comes from "Feeling Called Love," all 1:22 of it. Why same more than you need to say? That seems to have been Wire's defining principal.
I even found myself dancing!
The old saying goes that not many people purchased the Velvet Underground's debut album, but those who did formed their own bands.
The same must surely be true of "Pink Flag." Echoes of this brilliant, rule-breaking record resonate through the whole of alternative music.
It was definitely worth staying up for!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home