Wednesday, November 02, 2005

My heart can still be found where you tossed it on the ground

I read in the paper that today is Charlie Walker's 79th birthday.
Happy Birthday!
The girls and I celebrated this fact by listening to his solitary, classic hit, "Pick Me Up on Your Way Down," en route to school this morning.
I suppose it could be argued that anybody can have a hit when legendary songwriter Harlan Howard pens the tune. I would argue that Texas-born Walker made this 1958 hit his own, thanks to his vocals. When he sings the words, I imagine a lovelorn guy in a roadside tavern, pouring his heart out into the latest bottle of Lone Star Beer.
"When you learn these things are true, I'll be waitin' here for you/When you tumble to the ground, pick me up on your way down."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home