Friday, January 16, 2009

Ouch! Ow! Ooof! Ohhhhh...

Several ROUTE 1 readers have spent time in the sick bay recently (those who haven't will get frostbitten today, but that's another story).
Here is a sampling of their past misery, as related by their answers to the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What is the worst injury you have ever suffered?"
BRIAN M. -- When I was 12, I got the bright idea of catching for my friend while he tried pitches -- without a mask. Well, it was the height of July and the ground was as hard as concrete, and one got away from him, bounced off the firmament and into my right eye. I thought it was GONE. But after X-rays showed no structural damage, and after weeks of the biggest black eye I've ever had, I could see again.
MIKE D. -- As a softball manager, I put myself in right field as a late-inning defensive replacement in a close championship game. With two outs and a couple of opponents on base, the batter hit a sinking line drive to me. I ran forward, and as I dove for the ball, the fingers of my glove stuck into the ground. I somersaulted and raised my arm to show that I made the catch. However, I broke my two middle fingers, which healed funny and are now about a quarter-inch shorter. That has made playing bass guitar more difficult. The good news: My teammates rallied and we came back to win the game!
JIM S. -- A shed door fell on me when I was 4. My mom said she heard me screaming off in the distance and went to look for me. I apparently yelled, "I'm under here." She lifted the heavy door and flung it upward, finding me on my stomach with my left leg bent up against my back so that my foot was near my head. I was in traction in the hospital for eight weeks. My mom said she later tried to flip up the door, but could barely even lift it. I have no lasting pains from the injury.
BEKAH P. -- It might not seem like much, but a broken collar bone hurts like a mofo.
MARY N.-P. -- OK, I've been lucky in my nearly 60 years on the planet. I think my worst injury was just a broken big toe, BUT the circumstances made it bad. My husband and I were leading a group of his German students on a tour of Germany and staying with some friends when I fell down their stairs at night. Next day, my toe was ugly -- blue and swollen. We had to keep moving because we had an exact schedule to follow, so I couldn't go to a doctor. So for days, I just wore a sock, hobbled and got pushed in a wheelchair whenever we found one. It hurt! When I got back, my doctor X-rayed it, found it was broken and put on a walking bracey thing.
LISA Y. -- A broken heart.
INGER H. -- The bout of sciatica I had in 2006 was probably the worst injury I've ever had. I waited way too long to go to the doctor, resulting in spectacularly debilitating pain and a week off of work, spent lying on my side watching a marathon of America's Next Top Model. It was truly hell.
KERI M. -- Pulling our A-shape slide onto my face when I was 4. I had a cut by my eye and a big black eye when I went to preschool.
RICK T. -- Jumped off a stage and broke my ankle in three places. Not good!
MIKE M. -- When I was 14, I walked into a sliding glass door which shattered and cut open my back. The emergency room doctor said he could have removed my appendix if the cut had been in front.
ERIK H. -- 12-year-old me + my speeding bike + Lafayette reservoir park x (steep downhill slope) รท no control - any kind of stability = a long scab down the length of my body.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home