Thursday, January 08, 2009

Bob Wilkins, R.I.P.

I say: "BOB WILKINS, R.I.P.," but as a loyal viewer of "CREATURE FEATURES" on KTVU during my childhood, I really wish the recently departed host of the horror film show would return to haunt the Channel 2 studios.
That would be more in keeping with Wilkin's style.
I remember living for the weekend and the nights when I could stay up and watch the assorted B movies and monster films shown by Wilkins on Channel 2.
When we visited my grandparents' house outside the Bay Area television market, I always searched in vain for movies about zombies and aliens and the other subjects of the films shown by Wilkins.
I also loved when he dressed in a cape and portrayed CAPTAIN COSMIC every afternoon at 4:30 -- that Wilkins vehicle debuted in 1977, when I was 11 years old. I ate it up.
Wilkins died yesterday, age 76, after battling Alzheimer's disease. "Creature Features" ran from 1971-84, but for Bay Area-raised fans of scary movies, the show and Wilkins will live on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home