Sunday, January 04, 2009

Remembering The Offs

I am feeling a bit melancholic and nostalgic today, bidding my wife JILL goodbye for a week and then sitting here listening to America's first ska punk band and remembering the "good old days."
Jill is off to NEW ORLEANS for business.
Everyone else in the house remains asleep (even the three pets), so I am listening to THE OFFS.
Based in SAN FRANCISCO, the Offs released their debut single "EVERYONE'S A BIGOT" in 1978. I remember hearing it on Bay Area alternative radio stations in subsequent years.
According to the UNDERNEATHICA blog (find it here), the Offs' vocalist Don Vinil (great punk name!) was one of the first openly gay men on the West Coast punk scene. He reportedly died in 1983.
I didn't know much about Vinil in the old days. I just knew the Offs were a great band from my hometown Bay Area.

1 Comments:

Blogger Everyday Matheson said...

Have I ever sent you the Saskatchewan Roughrider songs?

I couldn't imagine not having done so. But if I haven't, I will,
I just need your e-mail. Please.

:)

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home