Friday, December 26, 2008

Yuletide Rider Pride

It was an unusual CHRISTMAS gift exchange for me this year.
For the first time in years, I did not receive a book, DVD or CD (although I plan to purchase at least one of those with a gift card).
I received mostly clothing items -- perfect, actually -- because my wardrobe has been slipping into the mundane recently.
Among the items were a University of San Francisco hoodie, a Canadiens tuque and a SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS Grey Cup Championship sweatshirt.
I only began following the CANADIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE exploits of the Riders a few years ago, after becoming friends with fellow music fan, Saskatchewan resident and blogger KERI M., author of the EVERYDAY MATHESON blog included in the ROUTE 1 links. There is a lot to like about the team.
The Riders boast a passionate following and have won the GREY CUP three times -- the magical year of 1966, 1989 and 2007.
The club have a memorable history. Quarterback Ron Lancaster led the club to 11 straight appearances in the Western Conference Finals, 1966-76, which remains a CFL record.
I'll be able to show my own "Rider Pride" thanks to my new sweatshirt. I think I will wear it to work today.
Long live Piffles Taylor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home