Sunday, December 21, 2008

"Staring at the sea, staring at the sand"

I am cringing at the weather outside (a wind-chill reading of minus-38 as I type these words) and listening to THE CURE this morning.
The band released its debut single, "KILLING AN ARAB," in limited quantities in Britain on this date 30 years ago today.
People who mistakenly thought the song referred to, well, killing Arabs, obviously never listened to the lyrics -- based if not entirely lifted -- from "L'ÉTRANGER" by ALBERT CAMUS:
"I'm alive, I'm dead, I'm the stranger, killing an Arab."
I am afraid I will need to venture outside at some point today to shovel away some of the snow being blown around by the blizzard conditions.
I wish I could just stay inside and listen to The Cure all day!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian Cooper said...

Hey, Erik: It's positively balmy here on the West End. Really. Maybe you'd like to come over and shovel MY walk, where it's warmer?

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home