Friday, December 12, 2008

Films that packed a whole lot of "funny"

You can't be serious!
Well, not all the time, as ROUTE 1 readers demonstrate by answering the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"What was the funniest film you saw this year -- either theatrical release or DVD?"
MIKE D. -- I never saw the whole movie, but Ben Stiller's bathroom scene in "Along Came
Polly" had me cracking up.
BEKAH P. -- "Tropic Thunder." Robert Downey Jr., had me cracking up the whole time. Of course, that film could also be called the stupidest film I have seen all year.
KERSTIN H. -- "Juno" is awesome, so that would have to be my choice.
ELLEN B. -- "Heartbreak Kid" with Ben Stiller in it!
BRIAN M. -- "Juno." I couldn't help but be reminded of "Napoleon Dynamite" when I watched "Juno." Knowing full well that no girl that age is glib, ironic or savvy, particularly through such a life-changing experience as pregnancy, it offered the same sort of "vignette of absurdity" in an otherwise "real" world that "Napoleon" offered. And, naturally, I saw "Juno" a year after almost everyone else.

ROSEANNE H. -- We liked the DVD movie "Sex in the City."
RICK T. -- "Wild Hogs."
BOB H. -- The funniest (maybe silliest is a better description) isn't a film, but the BBC series available on DVD, "Absolutely Fabulous." The funniest film is not so funny, but more sentimental; the romantic comedy, "Shirley Valentine." We waited for years, after seeing it in the theater, for it to be released on DVD. The 1989 film was finally available late last year.
KERI M. -- A tie between "Tropic Thunder," "Juno" and "Love Guru."
ERIK H. -- It seems like only yesterday, but it was Monday, Feb. 18 and Dubuque was in the throes of a record-setting snowy winter and I was at my absolute limit.
I placed Woody Allen's "Annie Hall" into the DVD player, though, and for several hours my laughter provided a much-needed respite from the outside world.
The joke was on me: Winter would hang on for more than a month after that mid-February date. Still, for a night, I experienced the healing effects of great comedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home