Tuesday, December 09, 2008

My music video of the year

You know those art projects made by the REALLY SMART KIDS? The ones that seem to drip with self-knowing cleverness?
That's the first impression I had after watching the colorful video for "READY FOR THE FLOOR," the GRAMMY-nominated single by Britain's HOT CHIP.
By my second viewing, I was completely won over by the video, directed by NIMA NOURIZADEH.
Lead vocalist Alexis Taylor dons a "Joker" disguise, then appears as half-Joker, paint splatters to form female forms out of the darkness and band members dodge stakes that appear out of the walls.
It is a highly inventive video -- you can see it here -- probably my favorite music video of the year.
The song itself sounds like a lost synth-pop classic from the 80s.
Given all the missteps in this year's Grammy nominations, it cheers me to know they got a few right -- like Hot Chip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home