Friday, November 28, 2008

India's spirit shines in Bollywood classics

I am preparing for work this morning with the other members of my family either participating in predawn shopping or asleep -- or, in the case of my sister, back at her home after a 70-hour ordeal precipitated by the Bangkok airport takeover.
I am also marking the tragedy of MUMBAI by listening to my collection of BOLLYWOOD albums.
I have been an admirer of MOHAMMED RAFI for years -- his productivity and phrasing combine to make him an "Indian Frank Sinatra," I think -- and his music is helping me cope with reading and viewing reports of the recent carnage.
One song that always makes me smile is "Chura Liya Hai Tum Ne," a classic 1973 duet between Rafi and the astounding ASHA BHOSLE, composed by the legendary R.D. BURMAN.
Listening to these songs give me hope for the future, and in particular, the future of INDIA.
There is a spirit to these songs that seems ultimately stronger than any terrorist attack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home