Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Focused on a classic

Try as I might, I can't seem to quit listening to "FOCUS," the jazz-with-strings collaboration of STAN GETZ and EDDIE SAUTER.
I have been listening to this 1961 album for two days now. I heard it frequently today, as I drove to various assignments.
I have heard other attempts to fuse classical music with jazz. Often, the results seem too "syrupy."
"Focus" doesn't belong in that category. More often than not, the strings propel the song along, and Getz blows his saxophone merrily along with the fast-paced violins.
"The legitimacy of the past 300 years and the soul of our modern times can be put together and be beautiful," Getz wrote in the original liner notes.
I heard that Getz never attempted to replicate "Focus" because a short time later the bossa nova craze he helped ignite was blazing across the country.
That's too bad. "Focus" contains timeless music that I never tire of hearing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home