Monday, November 17, 2008

It's a shame about "Al"

I apologize in advance for this first bit sounding like a bad joke, but it was so COLD today -- how cold was it? -- the cords of my iPod's ear buds froze stiff as I walked through the wind from my wife's office to mine.
Luckily, I had "SEARCHING FOR THE YOUNG SOUL REBELS" by DEXY'S MIDNIGHT RUNNERS to keep me (relatively) warm.
Well, warm in spirit, I suppose.
"Searching for the Young Soul Rebels" is by "SOUL BAND"-era Dexy's, before leader KEVIN ROWLAND discarded the band and moved in the Celtic pop direction exemplified by "Come on Eileen."
It is also the version of Dexy's featuring band co-founder and guitarist KEVIN "AL" ARCHER.
I thought about poor Al's story as I trudged through the wind to my office.
Legend has it, Archer used the name "Al" because Rowland decided the band was simply not big enough to accommodate two Kevins.
Sheesh!
That story might not be true, but I think it is notable that Archer left Dexy's shortly after the release of "Searching for the Young Soul Rebels."
It's great music, though, packed with enough horns to make any soul revue proud.
It made me think I was warm while walking, too.
Still, it's a shame about "Al."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home