Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Magnificent Cycle

I know. It's my mistake. I should have experienced it sooner.
Up until this morning, I had never watched the JOHN STURGES classic "THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN" from beginning to end. I had only seen bits and pieces.
I only hesitated because of my love for the film's inspiration -- the AKIRA KUROSAWA opus "SHICHININ NO SAMURAI (THE SEVEN SAMURAI)" -- a film I have watched at least a dozen times.
A budding FILM SNOB, I knew by heart the cycle of cinematic inspiration surrounding these movies: John Ford inspired Kurosawa, who in turn inspired Sturges and -- with "Yojimbo" -- Sergio Leone.
Watching the Sturges film today, I was surprised at how many scenes were simply lifted from "Shichinin no Samurai" and transplanted into "The Magnificent Seven." The stoic, lone gunman twirling a flower while waiting for his adversaries springs immediately to mind.
It was also interesting watching Horst Buchholz mirroring the Toshiro Mifune role from the previous film.
I still prefer "Shichinin no Samurai" -- this original boasts more emotional resonance, in my opinion -- and "Bad Day at Black Rock" remains my favorite Sturges film. Still, I am glad I finally came around and watched "The Magnificent Seven." I can appreciate the cycle of cinematic inspiration so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home