Sunday, January 11, 2009

High flyin' testifyin'

In between watching MANCHESTER UNITED defeat CHELSEA, 3-0, in a televised PREMIER LEAGUE match, I twice listened to a gem of a compilation from reissue kings the NUMERO GROUP.
"GOOD GOD! A GOSPEL FUNK HYMNAL" features 18 examples of that rare creature, gospel funk. The compilers dug through record crates, seeking out forgotten B sides or toss-away album cuts that all shared a trait: The songs combined gospel testifying with dance floor-filling funk.
"I Thank The Lord" by Mighty Voices of Wonder is a prime example. The song's funky beat helped propel me along on the treadmill after the soccer match. The words, though, came right out of Sunday School.
The song provided the type of comfort I sorely needed after a STRESSFUL WEEK in which I paired single-parent duties with my normal activities.
Oh, and in the soccer match, last year's champions United looked like they were a class above Chelsea. United looked like they were operating on a higher plane.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home