Sunday, January 27, 2008

Balloons and a baby

I had never really seen anything like it.
The ball arrived in the Manchester City six-yard box and seemed to pin-ball off several balloons that had drifted out of the stands.
Michael Ball stepped over the ball -- thinking it was a balloon? -- and Luke Shelton was there to send it into the net.
Sheffield United were a goal up en route to a 2-1 upset win in the FA Cup.
Boooo!
I hate Sheffield United!
How did they beat Man City, with all that talent at Sven-Goran Eriksson's disposal?
We watched the match live on television this morning, and I am still trying to figure out how the Blades won.
It is much easier figuring out why Jason Reitman's "Juno" has scored multiple Oscar nominations.
Kerstin and I watched the film this afternoon as a "father-daughter day out."
Ellen Page is wonderful as the title character, but Kerstin and I were most impressed with Diablo Cody's script. "Juno" is a well-written film.
Michael Cera is also good as the geeky boyfriend/father.
Now, I am preparing a sauce for a meatballs and rigatoni supper we are planning.
To ready myself for a dish I have never attempted, I am drinking a little red wine and listening to a ton of Canadian music. I have concocted a 45-song Canadian playlist that runs the gamut from the Weakerthans to Joni Mitchell and the marvelous Modernettes ("Barbra!") to Stompin' Tom Connors.
Stomping?
That's what the Manchester City defenders were doing to the balloons *AFTER* they gave up that opening goal. Next time, I bet they start stomping balloons *BEFORE* they pose a hazard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home