Friday, January 18, 2008

Survey says: ROUTE 1 readers watch television

Sometimes the apprentices need to guide the masters.
ROUTE 1's FRIDAY QUESTION was going to be something along the lines of...
"If you were stranded on a desert island but had enough electricity for a TV and you were allowed to bring with you DVDs with every episode of the best series that you..."
And I was just stopping to catch my breath when ROUTE 1 intern KERSTIN suggested the abbreviated and much improved:
"What is your favorite TV show?"
Ah... much shorter... much... better...
Ladies and gentlemen, start your answers:
SCOUT S. -- Like, ever? Or right now? If it's right now, I'd probably go with "The Amazing Race" or "Lost." If we're talking about all time, then boy howdy, that's a little trickier. Or truckier, which is what I typed the first time. My first thought is to go with the sketch comedy giants: "Mr. Show," "Kids in the Hall," "Upright Citizens Brigade," "The State," "Stella," and of course "Monty Python."
But then another part of my brain says "What about Joss Whedon?!" and so I nominate "Firefly" and "Buffy" (and to a lesser extent, "Angel").
But then Judd Apatow calls and reminds me about "Freaks & Geeks" (in a week, I am going to see a "Freaks & Geeks" reunion panel discussion, moderated by Patton Oswalt, and I am inordinately excited about this).
Anyway, out of all that, I think I am going to go with "The Greatest American Hero."
DIANE H. -- Dude, it would be easier for a TV addict like me to list five favorites rather than one. If I have to pick, I would say "30 Rock," because it consistently makes me laugh my ass off and has spawned about 27 catchphrases that I've incorporated into my vernacular. Much to the annoyance of any friends, family and coworkers who don't watch it. But if they watch "30 Rock," I should probably cut them out of my life anyway.
ROSEANNE H. -- My all-time favorite is "24." And we have the next season coming to Guanajuato soon (via our UPS mail drop). I can hardly wait!
MIKE D. -- It would have to be "M*A*S*H." My brothers and I still repeat lines from the classic show ("I distinctly remember saying, 'Frank, look out for that bar of soap.'")
War would seem to be an unlikely sit-com topic, but the show packaged humanity and compassion amidst non-stop laughs. My favorite episode ("Deal Me Out") involved a poker game interrupted by Radar, who had just run over Whiplash Wang.
(OK, here's one more... Col. Flagg (to Klinger, in drag): "Say, up close you're a man!" Klinger: "Far away, too.")
LAURA C. -- Hands-down, the best show that has ever been on television (albeit, not on network TV) was "Deadwood." Shakespeare in the gutter... muddy, bloody, profane and absolutely amazing.
ANNIKA H. -- "Hannah Montana!"
RICK T. -- "The Andy Griffith Show!" They don't get any better than that.
MIKE M. -- I vacillate amongst these fine programs: "60 Minutes," "NewsHour with Jim Lehrer," "BBC World News" and "Charlie Rose," plus "SNL," NFL, "AFV" and "Cops!" Whatcha gonna do?
ELLEN B. -- I have two: "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers and Sisters."
KERSTIN H. -- "Gilmore Girls."
JIM S. -- From the boomer crowd, I'd have to say "The Andy Griffith Show" (the B&W years). Barney Fife, alone, makes it unforgettable. But throw in Floyd the barber, Gomer, Otis, Opie and Aunt Bea, and you've got a winner. "Nip it!"
DAVE B. -- "M*A*S*H" is the greatest show of all time.
MARY N.-P. -- I'm a fanatic fan of "The Office" (have the calendar, season compilations, etc., etc.). It is so true and such great ensemble acting, but I know from experience that no one who has not worked in an actual office will "get it."
CLINT A. -- "The Sopranos." Need I say more?
LISA Y. -- I know it's pathetic, but I like reality TV.... My favorite is "The Real Housewives of Orange County." I hear "The Real Housewives of New York" is in the works!
ERIK H. -- I apparently treat television as a means of pure escapism. My favorite show when I was a kid was the classic first season of "Ultraman." My favorite show now would probably be "Reno 911!" I get enough news and/or reality during the day, so I don't need to see any cops and courts dramas. If it's not live soccer on TV (my *REAL* favorite show), then I need to see something to make me laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home