Monday, January 14, 2008

Where has this song been all my life?

Sometimes I hear a song for the first time, and it's GREATNESS is such that I ask myself:
"Where has this song been all my life?"
I am listening to my AUSSIE PLAYLIST on iTunes today. It is full of great stuff by Radio Birdman, Slim Dusty, Skyhooks, the Easybeats, AC/DC, Midnight Oil, INXS, the Scientists, Hoodoo Gurus, the Saints and many more. It also includes the absolutely masterful "KHE SANH" by COLD CHISEL (pictured).
I absolutely ADORE this song, and the first time I heard this 30-year-old single was only a couple years ago.
I have written about this song before, I know, but this tale of a disillusioned Australian Vietnam War veteran is just too good to ignore for lengthy stretches of time.
Where *HAS* this song been all my life?

2 Comments:

Blogger flametree said...

I was fortunate enough to grow up with Chisel and Khe Sanh - it always has been (and always will be) one of my favourite songs of all times.

That being said, to truely experience Khe Sanh, you have to be standing in a pub on Sydney harbour on Australia day where the song is played on high rotation and constantly drowned out by the crowd of drunken Aussies belting it out at the top of our lungs.

It's more than a song for us, it's an anthem.

5:24 AM  
Blogger flametree said...

Oh - and if you do try vegemite, don't be a woos - spread it on as thick as peanut butter....

your taste-buds will hate you, but you'll never forget it!

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home