Friday, January 25, 2008

Vinyl, CD or mp3?

ROUTE 1 readers traditionally celebrate the end of the week by sharing their views on a variety of topics. This week, they answer the following FRIDAY QUESTION:
"Do you prefer vinyl, CD or mp3?"
RICK T. -- I hate to say it, but CD, for space and not having to turn over the LP. But the stars still call it "their new album coming out."
SCOUT S. -- 8-TRACK RULEZ 4-EVER!
MIKE M. -- I prefer multiple formats. I still have a record player, and nothing beats the experience of looking at and listening to old albums. I remember when Styx came out with "Paradise Theatre;" the album had graphic art etched directly onto the surface of the vinyl. But mp3s are so versatile! Just this week, I burned a CD of about 25 versions of the song "Garota de Ipanema" using mp3s linked from (here).
INGER H. -- I prefer mp3s. The iPod has completely changed the way I listen to music -- having everything in my collection right at hand wherever I am is a wondrous thing.
MIKE D. -- I've had too many cassette tapes get chewed up or sound "warped" from too much play. I finally took a leap forward and started buying CDs a few years ago. Now, if I can just keep my kids from smudging or breaking them!
ERIK H. -- When I was a kid, there was nothing like going to the record store and actually buying a record. Right now, I am staring lovingly at the 45 of Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough," with the lazy cat on the monochrome cover.
I love mp3s, too, because the iPod means I can listen to whatever I want at any time.
However, I always fear some calamitous data crash will wipe the songs clean away.
That nagging (irrational?) fear is one of the reasons why I prefer CDs. They seem so permanent.
Besides, for a music geek like me, there is no greater joy than listening to music while reading about it in a booklet of extensive liner notes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home