Saturday, January 19, 2008

Steel City derby, then I was absolutely freezing

Akpo Sodje, you're my hero!
Marcus Tudgay is my hero, too. All of the SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY players are my heroes today.
Sodje and Tudgay scored the goals as MY BELOVED OWLS beat Sheffield United, 2-0, in today's 120th STEEL CITY DERBY.
Hah!
I followed the big match live online this morning before heading to work.
I had to cover an event at the NATIONAL MISSISSIPPI RIVER MUSEUM & AQUARIUM called "IceFest," and there was plenty of ice to go around today. When I attended the outdoor event the temperature in Dubuque was an unhealthy minus-7, with the wind-chill index an even unhealthier minus-26. Health officials warned that frostbite could occur within 20 minutes in such low temperatures. I thought about that as I took notes: I had to pull my glove off to be able to grasp my pen.
My friend Mary Nevans-Pederson had it much worse: She had the misfortune of covering a massive fire in downtown MAQUOKETA, IOWA. A blaze that started in a furniture store during the early morning hours burned throughout the day, torching half a downtown block, injuring at least two firefighters and displacing four families.
Me, I had it easy compared to all of the people impacted by the fire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home