Saturday, January 26, 2008

Can you imagine if a bunch of punks decided to make classic 60s soul?

Hah! A bunch of punks already did!
I just completed my afternoon chores while listening to DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS wonderful "SEARCHING FOR THE YOUNG SOUL REBELS" album from July 1980.
Before singer Kevin Rowland decided he was the leader of a New Wave Celtic band ("Come on Eileen"), he was definitely the head of a surprisingly tight soul conglomerate. Kevin "Al" Archer on guitar and "Big" Jim Paterson on trombone were among the collaborators on this post-punk landmark. Well before the "new soul" of Style Council or Paul Young, Dexys were really belting it out on songs such as "Burn it Down," "I Couldn't Help if I Tried" and the British chart-topper "Geno."
Whenever someone around me calls Dexys a "one-hit wonder," I usually wince. Instead, I should play them this great record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home